SLIGO, Catholic Parishes
Beginning of roll in addition to subject line says "National LIbrary of Ireland". According to the LDS index it covers marriages and christenings, 1803-1880. It is a film of handwritten parish church ledger book with entries by month by year, The handwriting in Latin varies from excellent to almost illegible. Apparently setting the books for microfilming the 'next' page would be out of order. Possibly some are missing. I had to study the film for a few hours to 'get the hang of it'.
Due to the extreme difficulty in reading the names I scanned the 1855 registers for any last names at which I am 'fairly' certain. The grooms surnames are underlined in the register.
I had the 'image' cast on a piece of yellow paper which makes it more legible. The copying machine produced a copy more legible than the microfilm.
I have a short list of 19th century given names in Latin with English equivalent. I need a more comprehensive list.
MARRIAGES BY YEAR AND MONTHNoting only the groom's names which are underlined in the book.
Marriages in Italics are from the Vital Records Index-British Isles-County Sligo, Ireland, all giving the same FHL film 989737 as the source. Names in capital letters are possibly my grandmother's family.
Martinum Healy and Mariam Ballantine, 28 February
Patritium Kane and Brigidam Ballantine, 8 February
- Bartholomeum Ballantine and Mariam Guning, 18 February
- Joannem Connel and Brigidam Ballantine, 6 June
Jacobum Morrison and Annam Ballantine, 23 January
Alexanderum Balantine and Mariae Gray, 8 December
Rogerum Balantine and Mariam Connel, 13 July.
1852-an exception; per the index, recorded in Aghanagh Parish, FHL # 989739
Michael McLoughlin and Ann Balantine, 14 March.
Franciscum Benson and Annam Balantine, 3 February
Terentium Balantine and Johnnam Breheny, 20 February, see 1859 below and 1868 Christening.
- January: Flynn, Mulligan, McLaughlin
- February: 5th, BARTHOLOMEUM BALANTINE and HONORIAM KEANE
- February, Higgins (list ends with the 9th)
- March 1855: Donahue, Norris, Flanigan, McDermott
- April 1855: Healy, McGarry
19th, Francis Tessitis Balantine and Johanna Shaughnessy
sponsors:Jacob and Johanna Balantine
(I'm only sure of Balantine. I copied this page for further study).
- May:Connolly, McLaughlin, McDonough
- June: Cunningham
- July: McLaughlin, Doyle (2)
- August: Carty, McGarry, McDermott, Lynch
- October: Massie-Foley
- November:McDermott, McDonough,
- December:McLaughlin, Ward, Connolly
- August: Costello and Maria McGonagle
sponsors: Michael and Bridget Walsh.
Terentium Balantine and Johannam Breheny, 8 November, see 1854 above and Christening 1868 below.
- Bartholomeum Balantine and Elizabeth Dowd, 26 June
- Thomam Foley and Eleonoram Balantine, December
Hugo McGrath and Brigida Balentine, 25 August, Husband's Father:Joannis McGrath, mother, Bridgitae McGreevey. Wife's parents; Jacobi Balentine and Catharinae Hart. (see Christenings below with these parents)
1874 Joanes Balantine and Catharina Hogg, 16 March
CHRISTENINGS by YEAR AND MONTHChildren of a marriage are grouped together with a 'range' of years.
- Jacobum Ballantine, 14 April 1821, Parents: Bartholomei Ballantine, Brigidae McLaughlin.
- Bartholomeum Balentine, 4 January 1825, Parents: Bartholomeii Ballantine, Brigidae McLaughlin.
- Michaelem Ballantine, 23 November 1828, Parents: Bartholomei Ballantine, Brigidae McLaughlin.
Jacobus Balantine, 27 September 1822, Parents: Matheus Balantine, Brigida Noon
Michael Balantine, 28 August, Parents: Matthaeus Balantine, Brigida Noone.
- Jacobum Balintine, 22 December 1824, Parents: Bartholomei Balintine, Mariae Gunning
- Bartholomeum Balantine, 4 April 1829, Parents: Bartholomei Balantine, Mariae Gunning
Bartholomeum Ballantine, 9 October 1830, Parents: Rogerii Ballantine, Mariae Connel
- James Ballantine, 20 January 1831, Parents:Parents:Jacobi Ballantine, Catherinae Hart
- Michaelem Ballantine, 30 September 1847, Parents:Jacobi Ballantine, Catherinae Hart
Bartholmeum Ballantine, 2 September 1832, Parents: Jacobi Ballantine, Mariae Hart
- 17 December: Annam (Anna)
- Petra Healy & Assad McNally (that's what it looks like, obviously it is not that).
- Sponsor: Maria Healy
Michaelem Balantine, 29 September, Parents: Bartholomei Balantine, Margarittae Gunning.
July: Catherine, Parents Broderick Ballantine Counts, sponsors Bartholomew Ballantine and Eliaria Geoghan. (pretty sketchy, I better take a second look).
- 28 February: Michaelem Balantine,
- Parents: BARTHOLOMEI BALANTINE, HONORIAE CAIN
- Sponsors: Michael Ballentine, Catherine Falvey
- 15 May, Annam Balantine
- Parents: BARTHOLOMEI BALANTINE, ANNAE KEANS
- Jacobum Balantine, 2 September 1867, Parents: Bartholomei Balantine, Brigidae Dowd
- James Ballentine, 1 June 1868, Birthplace, Riverstown, Civil Registration. Parents: Bartholomew Ballentine, Bridgit Dowd, FHL 101166, 1868. Note 378
- Civil Registratrions were required after 1864 and the above could well be a late registration
- Michaelem Balantine, 18 October,
- Parents: Terentii Balantine and Johannae Breheny
- Michael Ballentine, birth recorded as 2 November 1868, Riverstown, Civil Registration, Parents:Terence Ballantine and Jane Breheny, FHL 101176, Dates 1868
Birth: Bartholimew Balentine, 9 January 1870, Parents: Bartholimew Balentine< Bridget Higins, Riverstown, Civil Registration, FHL 101201, 1870
19 January 1873
8 or 10 August 1873:
- Baptismal Name: Bartholomeus Balantine
- Parents: Terentii Balantine, Johannae Breheny
- Sponsors: Euginio Mahenny & Maria Balantine
- noted after Maria Balantine is something similar to the following:
"was married mardest 19th at Highwood by FR.........(indeciperable).
DEATHS June 19, 1836-January 21, 1843
- Baptismal name:Joseph
- Surname: Ballantine
- Nom Parochi vel alterius Baptizantis
- Parent's Names: BARTHOLOMEO & HONORA KANE
- BARTHOLOMEO, HONORIA KANE
- Ex Parentibus legitimo matrimonio junetis
- Names of Godparents, astandibus et e Sacro Fonte Lavantibus: Michael Ballantye & Brigida Kane
Father: Patritus Gannon in Ohane, age 67
Mother: " " " , age 80
(my cousin's mother's name was Gannon)
Back to Beginning page of my genealogy
Back to main site Index