OPERATION EAST 1968-1972
Edition of September 2008
- Thanksgiving Nite, November 28,1968, program, Pickwick Ice Arena, L.A. Jr. Ice Hockey Assn. 8 pages, 5.5 by 8.5, autographed by Jiggs McDonald. Prize Drawings by Jiggs McDonald and Ed Fitkin, voices of the Los Angeles Kings. Figure Skating Exhibition by Miss Caroline Guttman L.A. Figure Skating Club
- Van Nuys Mites; Ilovitch, Karalnick, Smith, Kelly, Fournier, Corbitt, Paolello, McClellan, Satin, Coach Fournier, Mngr Ilovitch
vs Bay Harbor Mites: Ford, Jermain, Irvine, Fonggr, Minoletti, Palmer, Boyle, Prudhomme, Alexander, Wilton, Peres, Coach Minoletti, Manager Palmer
- Norwalk Squirts: Reynolds, Sageman, Beasley, Stein, Barros, Rouse, Devitt, Nix, Sloan, Ragazzo, Stighty, Addie, Moorhead, Dickson, Coach Johnson, Mngr Devitt, Ass't Beasley
vs Burbank Squirts, Fielder, Wyrick, Stachan, Davis, D. Bishop, B. Bishop, Meumann, Lawes, Taft, Spayde, Pyne, Marriott, Coach Lawes, Mngr Taft, Ass't Meumann
- West Valley Midgets; Hendricks, Cummings, McConnell, Perkins, Brubaker, McPhee, Mahan, McKenzie, Hilts, Coe, R. Baker, Bodnar, MacIntyre, Weitzman, R. Baker, Friscia, Barmasse, Coach Feldman vs Coast Cities Midgets; Squair, Stevens, Geyer, Lewallen, Walker, Harrington, Liddle, Feist, Herrold, Fletcher, Grea, Hain, Ruel, Young, Tailor, Demont, Krallis, Kaiser
- Operation East Juniors; Turnball, Smith, Pennock (Dale) D'Ewart, Keep, Webster, Bauer, Himelfarb, Hildebrand (Guy), McNab (Peter), McVicker, Greenberg, Sutton, Keenen, Gilbert, Ford, Magnin (Dale), Varlotta, Coach Fred Hildebrand. versus L.A. Juniors All Stars (no names listed)
Operation East---1968; Harvard, Yale, Princeton, West Point, Brown, Amherst, University of Massachusetts, University of New Hampshire, Bates, Colby and American International College---quite an impressive list of the prestige colleges of the Northeast--all these to be visited by Southern California student athletes in an effort to obtain scholarships.
Operation East --1968: In the coming Christmas holidays, our high school age hockey players will live., eat and play hockey at these colleges. Tonight's travel fund benefit is one more continuing step in this plan to enable deserving young hockey players to continue their education.
The Los Angeles Junior Hockey Association was organized in the summer of 1967 for the 16-19 age group. Last year the Los Angeles team, in their first season, entered the National Junior Olympic Tournament in Colorado Springs. Our players, up against the top Juniors from Minnesota, Michigan and New England, finished third, just one goal removed from the championship.
The outstanding player in the tournament was former Van Nuys goalie, Steve Brueckner. This afforded Brueckner to be seen by several of the National Hockey League scouts. He received a particularly good report from the Boston Bruins. As a result Brueckner received a full scholarship to Boston University.
Others of our juniors now playing collegiate hockey include: Mike Grocki of Norwalk at Ohio University, Brian Bird of Van Nuys at Yale, Craig Cullen of North Hollywood at Boston State, John Donovan of Burbank at Boston University, Ken Vogel of Van Nuys at West Point, John Mumford of Pasadena and Mike Lampman of Norwalk at Denver University.
Support this program, not just for the fine athletes who will go east this year, but also for tall the fine younger players now being developed locally and who hope to be able to follow in their footsteps.
- Operation East 1968 one page itinerary, Dec 19th-Dec 30th. Games at Princeton, West Point, Yale, Amherst, Springfield Classical H.S., Burriville R.I., Cranston East H.S. at Brown U., Saint Dominics H.S., Lewiston ME.
- Los Angeles Hockey Club, 1969-70, 46 pg 5.5 by 8.5 bound booklet, Operation East report, pictures, player bios and season writeups for Squirts, Peewees, Bantams and Midgets.
- My letter of November 5, 1968 to Bill Cleary and Dolph Samborski at Harvard U. soliciting their support for Operation East.
- American Hockey Coaches Association Mailing List, May 1969. 15 pages covering Colleges, Prep and High Schools.
- October 22, 1970, Promotion letter for November 8, '70 fund raising game to all GLAMHA club presidents from Art Guiney, Bill Van Siclen, Eleanor Seeman and Betsy Trombley
- October 22, 1970 meeting notice to Operation East Committee for the Ways and Means Committee, Oct 27, 1970 at Dart Industies, Los Angeles, from Eleanor Seeman and Betsy Trombley.
- October 29, 1970, 3 page letter describing committee assignments, program for November 8th game and calling a meeting on November 3, at home of Eleanor Seeman, Canoga Park, CA.
November 8, 1970, Sunday, program for fund raiser games, Culver City rink,
inside front cover "The proceeds from this affair will to toward defraying the cost of sending the Bantams and Midgets picked from the Northern and Southern Hockey teams of (southern) California. These boys will be surveyed by scouts and coaches from eastern prep schools and colleges. Scholarships will be awarded to those boys illustrating exceptional abilities."
Schedule: National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance.
Introduction: Operation East Coordinator, Art Guiney.
Master of Ceremonies, Mr. Stu Nahan
Drawings for Door Prizes, Mr. Jiggs McDonald
8 pm Northern vs Southern Squirts
9:30 pm Northern vs Southern Bantams
10:45 pm Northern vs Southern Midgets
Northern Squirts Southern Squirts
Jamie Better, Topanga Bruce Barros, Southeastern
Steve Better, Topanga Marc Fournier, Van Nuys
Greg Fontaine, Coast Cities Jason Irvine, Bay Harbor
Steve Gate, Topanga Steve Justine, Pasadena
Wendy Hinesan, Santa Monica Mark Kessinger, N. Hollywood
Mike Inster, Coast Cities Jim Luis, Pasadena
Stan Medlinsky, West Valley Randy Minoletti, Bay Harbor
Dwight Popson, West Valley David Moorhead, Southeastern
Danny Sockwell, Coast Cities Frank Roach, Southeastern
Mike Squair, Coast Cities Kevin Sloan, Southeastern
Lance Stodmilller, West Valley Terry Smith, Pasadena
Paul Sweeney, Coast Cities Coach, Dave Barros
David Weilzman, West Valley
Coach, Bill Squair
Squirts Coordinator, Cliff Better
R. Cadek, S. Gianni (G), J. Heron, I. Hughes, B. McGilroy, Burbank Club
G. Bessette (G), L. Brook, D. Craig, J. Filiatroult, A. Cragi, J. White, West Covina Club
F. Fulgenzi, L. Galvin, S. Kovac, G. Lawes (G), J. Trombley, J. Van Siclen, K. Winther, L.A.Club
Coaches: Ken Watson, Phil Gianni, Jim Craig.
T. Coon, K. Gibson, S. Hamilton, J. Rosen (G), B. Waldenberg, West Valley Club
J. Bjelejac, K. Bjelejac, R; Carmichael, D. Sizemore, S. Wellman, Culver City Club
C. Bryant, B. Hildebrand, J. Salloway (G), M. Small, T. Smith, Pasadena Club
K. Berry, R. Knippelberg, B. Simpson, Southeastern Club
Coaches; Russ Trombley, Pat Lawry, B. Davidson
Bantams Coordinator: Fred FulgenziNorthern Midgets
Pasadena: Brent Bauer, Vince Cain, Doug D'Ewart, Mike Gaspar, Bob Gregg, Frank Greinke, Jim Nitz, Kerry Smith, Rick Stensrud (G)
Topanga: Randy Christophe, Bill Mabe, Chuck Nine, Scott Pierce, Allen Shaw.
North Hollywood: Dan Bird, Cameron Dunner, Jeff Gardiner, Tom Ross
Coaches: Joe McGovern Pasadena
Bill Eaton, Topanga
Southeastern: Ralph Corliss, Hy Faulkner (G), Mike Munce, Like Trombley, Brad Wiley, Eric Woods.
Coast Cities; David Bjelejac, Greg Harrington, Terry Wyrenbeck.
L.A. Club; Mike Anderson, Bay Harbor, John Ford (G) Bay Harbor, Dave Hiltz West Valley,Ted Lewellyn Coast Cities, Mike Munden Topanga, Jim Puckey Van Nuys, Terry Seeman Topanga, Dennis Sloan Southeastern
Coaches: Red Carson, Southeastern, Chris Camp, Coast Cities
Midgets Coordinator: Bill Van SiclenWe wish to thank the following for their generous donations for the concession and drawings;
Bill McMahon, Bill Puckey, Bill Sugarman, Golden Bear Athletic Supply, Hostess Inc., Ice Capades Chalet, Jet-age Travel Svc, Jo Seeman, JoAnn Castle, Luer Meat Packing, M&S Import Co. National Drinks, Oak Mfg Co. Pacific Palisades Athletic Equipment, Santa Monica Ice Rink, 7-Up Bottling Co. W.A. Goodman & Sons
Operation East extends its thanks to the following for their time and encouragment that helped make this event a success;
Heidi Better, Sandra Better, Fred and Peggy Fulgenzi, Sherri Fulgenzi, Phil and JoAnn Giani, Gordon and Audrey Lawes, Eleanor Seeman, Shelly Seeman, Orval and Laura Sloan, Bill Squair, Betsy Trombley, Lorrain Weitzman.
An extra SPECIAL THANK YOU to Mr. Aubrey Heloffs, Manager of the Culver Ice Rink.
November 18, 1970 Fund raising letter from Sandra and Cliff Better and Eleanor Seeman with a cocktail party and raffle proposed for December 3rd, '70.
Operation East #4 (1971) Summary Schedule, one sheet, Dec 15th-Dec. 23, practice with scrimmage at Hotchkiss, Springfield MA; Bantams vs 16 Acres, Midgets vs Commerce H.S., at Deerfield Academy (MA)vs Amherst teams, at U of Mass rink, Bantams vs Van Horn, Midgets vs Springfield Classical H.S. JV's. At Nashoba Valley rink; Bantams vs local Bantams, Midgets vs Arlington H.S. JV's. Exeter N.H. rink; Bantams versus local Bantams, Midgets vs Exeter H.S. JV's. At Arlington MA; Bantams vs local Bantams, Midgets vs Arlington JV's. At Brown University, Bantams vs Providence Bantams, Midgets vs Cranston East JV's.
Back to HOCKEY INDEX page
Copyright, 1996-2013 Joe Nix where applicable
Website compiled, edited and maintained by Joe Nix email@example.com