MY NIX GRANDPARENTS
- Patrick F. Nix, 26 December 1891 Petition, U..S. District Court, Providence,Rhode Island for naturalization. (Source Vol. Yr 1888-1902), that he was born in Ireland, 1 January 1861, entered the United States 5 May 1877 (age 16).
- 22 December 1891, Sponsors deposition in support of petition of Patrick F. Nix, signed by Johnny Rainoe and Erin Army (or names of similar appearance). Oath of Allegiance of Patrick F. Nix, dated 26 Dec 1891. U..S. District Court, Providence,Rhode Island (Source Vol. Yr 1888-1902)
- Patrick Nix-Annie Ballantine, Certificate of Marriage, 12 June 1893 (Roman Catholic) Cathedral of SS Peter & Paul, 30 Fenner Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02903-3603, Rev. Thomas F. Doran officiating in the presence of Frederick McNamby & Maria Healy. Page 177 of church marriage register.
- Providence, Rhode Island, Division of Archives, Vol 17, Page 113, Marriages Registered in Providence, Date of Marriage: June 12, 1893
Groom: Patrick Francis Nix
Age: 30 (should have read 32)
Occupation: Stone Cutter
Parents: Michael and Margaret
Bride: Annie Ballentine
Parents: Michael and Nora
- 1864-1900, Michael and Margaret Nix's deaths were NOT recorded in County Clare, Ireland per Superintendent Registrar, Mid-Western Health Board, Courthouse, Ennis, County Clare, Ireland, dated 24 November 1999.
- PATRICK FRANCIS NIX, Arlington Advocate, May 12, 1922 Page 5 (not the obit section)"The funeral of Patrick Nix, husband of Anna J. Ballantine Nix, took place on last Saturday morning from his late residence, 28 Tanager street. A high mass of requiem was celebrated in St. James church by the pastor, Rev. David R. Heffernan the service being attended by a large number. The bearers were Michael Donnellen, Martin Shaughnessy, Joseph Ballantine and William McCormack. Interment (internment) was in Mount Pleasant Cemetery. Mr. Nix died on Wednesday of last week following an illness of some length. He was a quiet, unassuming man, enjoying his home circle and taking great delight in his family. Besides his wife he is survived by four sons, Joseph, John, Walter and Edward (Edmund), and a daughter, Miss Mary Nix, all of this town."
- Providence, Rhode Island, Division of Archives, Vol 16, Page 63, Births Registered in Providence, Name: Joseph Patrick Nix
Date of Birth: October 14, 1894, male white, 1st child
Place of Birth: 84 Borden
Parents: Patrick F and Annie (Ballentine)
Father's Age: 35(should have read 33)
Mother's Age: 29
Occupation of Father: Stone-cutter
Birthplace of Father: Ireland
Birthplace of Mother: Ireland
- Joseph Patrick Nix, Certificate of Baptism, born 7 October 1894, Baptized 28 October 1894, (Roman Catholic) Cathedral of SS Peter & Paul, 30 Fenner Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02903-3603, by Rev. John E. Brady, sponsors being: Joseph Ballentine and Mary Ann Crocke, Baptismal Record page 7.
- Joseph P. Nix, age 18 in 1912, a Boston bank teller.
- Joseph P. Nix, U.S. Navy, 19 months World War One service 1917-1919. Chief Yeoman. Served on the USS Leviathan. Released from the reserves, 1921. (per documents held by my brother Robert in 2009.
- HARRIET LIVINGSTON (MACDONALD) NIX, (Boston Herald, July 26, 1984 P 49.)85, of Belmont (MA), a secretary of 25 years for the Raytheon Company of Waltham, will be celebrated tomorrow at 9 a.m. in St. Joseph's Church, Belmont.
She died Tuesday (24th) the Pine Knoll Nursing Home, Lexington.
Born in Boston, (Mrs.) Nix was graduated from Burdett Business College of Boston.
She was a Belmont resident for 53 years and was a soloist at St. Joseph's Church for more than 30 years.
(Mrs.) Nix is survived by two sons, Robert B. of Boston and Joseph P. Nix of Anaheim, Calif.;a daughter, Harriet Kohen (Cohen) of San Rafael, Calif.; a sister, Josephine Kerr Macdonald of Belmont and eight grandchildren. Burial will be in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Arlington. Arrangements are by the Short, Williamson & Diamond Funeral Home, Belmont.
MY UNCLE JOHN, 2nd BORN TO PATRICK & ANNA NIX
- JOHN FRANCIS NIX, The Arlington Advocate, Thursday, December 19,1983."John F. Nix, 87 of Fisher Rd, died December 21 in the Pine Knoll Nursing Home in Lexington.
Born in Randolph, Mr. Nix was a retired office manager for the Wilson Meatpacking Co. in Cambridge and a Navy veteran of World War I.
He was the husband of Mary C. Nix; and the brother of Mary M. Nix of Florida and the late Joseph P., Walter L. and Edmund J. Nix.
The funeral was held from the D.W. Grannan & Son Funeral Home Friday morning, followed by a mass in St. Agnes Church. Burial was in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery."
- MARY C. NIX-HALL, Arlington Advocate, August 19, 1993 Page 10a."Mary C. Nix-Hall of Arlington died on August 10 at Symmes Hospital. She was 89.
Born in Charlestown she was a longtime Arlington resident and was a homemaker.
She was the wife of Norman F. Hall; sister of Joe Creedon of Brighton, sister-in-law of Irene Creedon of Arlington, aunt of Priscilla Seldon(Sheldon) of Burlington, Gertrude Broderick of Watertown, Joan Mitchell of Shrewsbury, Joan Patchell of Tewksbury, John Creedon of California and Walter Creedon of Wakefield.
A funeral mass was celebrated in St. Camillus Church on August 14 followed by burial in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery. Funeral arrangements were made by D.W. Grannan & Son Funeral Home of Arlington.
Memorial contributions may be made in her memory to the Heart Fund.
MY UNCLE WALTER, 3rd BORN TO PATRICK & ANNA NIX
- Picture taken October 1980, age 83.
MY UNCLE EDMUND, 4th BORN TO PATRICK & ANNA NIX
- Edmund James Nix application for account number, U.S. Social Security Act, 030-10-0227, 28 Tanager Street, Arlington, Mass.
Name of present employer: Irving M Sobin Co, 72 Granite St, Boston, Mass
Date of Birth: June 5, 1900, Quincy Mass
Father: Patrick F. Nix, Mother Anna J. Nix
Dated: Mar 23, 1937 (s) Edmund J. Nix
- ALICE L. NIX , as printed in Boston Globe."NIX, in Revere, formerly of Deltona, Florida, March 3, 1996 ALICE L (Shaw) in her 90th year, wife of the late Edmund J. Beloved sister of Willis S. Shaw of Billerica and the late Mrs. Evelyn R. Tye, Mrs. Hazel Surette and Mrs. Ethel Washburn. Loving aunt of Ms. Carol Tye of Revere, Mrs Eleanor T. Losccco of Canton, Mrs. Maureen Burnham of Lowell, Mrs. Patricia Berrett and William J. Shaw, both of Billerica." Internment was in Deltona Memorial Gardens, Orange City, FL"
(Note: Ms. Carol Tye contacted me by email, November 2001)
MY AUNT MARY, 5th BORN TO PATRICK & ANNA NIX
- MARY MARGARET NIX written by her 12 years before her passing. Printed in a newspaper covering Clearwater, FL."Nix, Mary Margaret, 87, of Clearwater, died Sunday (Sep. 16, 1990) at Clearwater Convalescent Center. She was born (1903) in Quincy, Mass., and came here in 1972 from Coral Gables. She was a past president of Business and Professional Women's Club, Coral Gables, and a member of Women's Auxiliary Air Corps. She was a member of Light of Christ Catholic Church, Clearwaters. Survivors include two nephews, Robert B. Nix of Boston, Mass. and Joseph P. Nix, Anaheim, Calif,; two nieces, Priscilla Sheldon, Burlington, Mass., and Harriet Cohen, San Rafael, Calif.; and 12 great-nieces and great-nephews. National Cremation Society, Clearwater. "
- MARY NIX, Arlington Advocate, Thursday, September 27, 1990, Page 5B.Mary Margaret Nix, 87, a homemaker who was born and brought up in Arlington, died Sept. 16 in Clearwater, Fla.
She was the sister of the late Joseph, John, Walter and Edmund. She leaves two nephews, Robert Nix of Boston and Joseph Nix, Jr. of Anaheim, Calif.;two nieces, Harriet Cohen of San Rafel (Rafael), Calif., and Patricia Shaeldon(Priscilla Sheldon) of Burlington; and 12 grand-nieces and nephews.
A funeral Mass was said Sept. 20 in the St. Agnes Church, and burial was in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery.
Arrangements wer made by D.W. Grannan and Son.
World War One Draft registration list
John F Nix 5 Feb 1896 Caucasian MA Arlington, Middlesex, MA
Joseph P Nix 14 Oct 1894 Caucasian RI Arlington, Middlesex, MA
Email to Joe Nix, webmaster.
Back to Beginning page of my genealogy